Counselling and Support
ACON provide confidential fee-based short term counselling (up to 12 sessions) for LGBTI people seeking support in relation to their mental health and wellbeing. Volunteer counsellors use a solutions focused model and a range of therapeutic approaches to better equip people to deal with life’s challenges.
Fees for this service are negotiated according to individual circumstances, and priority is given to people on low incomes or with limited options.
LGBTI counselling in Sydney is available Tues and Thurs evenings. For appointment options in regional NSW please contact the relevant office.
Unfortunately this service is not suitable for:
- People who use violence
- People with unmanaged or unsupported mental illness or substance use
To access this service, you will need to undergo a brief assessment in person or over the phone.
If you are experiencing prejudice related violence or harassment here are some options for counselling and support:
- ACON provides counselling as well as social work support to help people resolve complex or ongoing violence and harassment matters. Call 9206 2000 to make an appointment.
- QLife provides anonymous and free LGBTI peer support and referral for people wanting to talk about sexuality, identity, gender, bodies, feelings or relationships. For more information click here.
- ICLC can provide legal support such as assistance with preparing an Apprehended Personal Violence Order. For more information click here.
- Lifeline provides 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services to all Australians experiencing a personal crisis. For more information click here.